Monday, January 5, 2009

Finally, an Un-plastic Cheese

So, I'm South Beach-ing with my parents. My mom bought some of the Laughing Cow ("La Vache Qui Rit") cheese. It's not covered in plastic! The wooden container holds foil-wrapped wedges! At last. :)

I've used 2 pieces of plastic today -- wrappers for my coveted sugar-free popsicles. Seriously, those things are my plastic un-doing. Anybody have good un-plastic substitutes?

I also acquired an ID card for the school where I tutor (made of plastic), but I don't think that counts because it's reusable!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings about Laughing Cow cheese. I will admit to having purchased it a few times when I just couldn't resist the cheese craving. But I do feel guilty about the amount of packaging in general. individually-wrapped wedges inside an outer box. So, while it does seem to be plastic-free, I'm not sure how eco it is over all. What do you think?

PlasticFreeForMe,please! said...

That's a fair comment. However, in an all-out war on plastic, I can at least feel better knowing that it could decompose one day or be more likely to actually get recycled. I won't plan to go through a whole pack every day, but it's nice to have a dairy option. But I definitely see your point! Although, in reality, many forms of non-plastic take a lot of resources to make (e.g. paper bags).